Friday, March 5, 2010

One Million Arrows

I have been blessed to have a chance to participate in the One Million Arrows Blog Tour. A few weeks ago I received an email from Julie Ferwerda asking if I'd like to read her new book, One Million Arrows. After reading the glowing reviews from respected Christians such as Ron Luce, Dennis Rainey, and Josh McDowell I knew that this must be a good book. And I was not disappointed.

Julie Ferwerda is recognized for making the Bible exciting and relevant to everyday life through her writing and speaking. Her articles are featured in many Christian magazines and websites for both adults and teens, and she frequently volunteers her time and talents to international orphan ministry. You can read more about her at OneMillionArrows.com.
The book One Million Arrows speaks to Christian parents who seek to raise their children to love and serve the Lord. Specifically, One Million Arrows is an inspirational call to raise our kids to impact their culture, community, and world for Christ. Beyond just attending church or youth group, One Million Arrows encourages parents to really strive for a greater impact with their children. The book tells stories of Christian children who grow to change the world.

I was particularly intrigued by this book before I even started reading it. Months ago I "met" Laurel, a blogger and mother of many. She began reading my blog and I then discovered her blog. As I began reading I was struck by her amazing family and their incrredibly strong faith. Her children serve the Lord, each in different ways, but it is obvious to me, even though I've never met them in person, that they are following God's call and seek to lead others to Him. I knew right away that Laurel was doing something right and I wanted to know what it was.

As a mother, my greatest gift is my children and what I desire most for them is for each one of them to grow and serve the Lord. I want them to be who God wants them to be. I've always felt that though I may not have a huge impact on this world, I can raise children who will. I want my children to love God, to glorify Him, and for other people to look at them and want what they have-a personal relationship with the Lord.

I struggle daily to be a good example for my children. It's a huge challenge to show them strong faith in difficult times but I strive to do that. One Million Arrows was the perfect book, sent to me at the perfect time, and was obviously God working in my life yet again.

One Million Arrows features stories of inspiring families who have raised children who really make a huge impact in this world, leading others to Christ. (Tim Tebow, anyone?) I found it incredibly uplifting and motivating. I'm still not sure what path I'm on in this life but one thing became more clear as I read this book: I want my children to be arrows. The term arrows refers to Psalm 127:3-5, where children are described as a legacy—arrows in the hands of a mighty man.

Perhaps the most amazing part of One Million Arrows is that this book gives back to the man who inspired the title. M.A. "Papa" Thomas is an amazing man who started a ministry in India where he rescued orphans and taught them about God so that they could go out and start churches all across India and lead others to Him. It's an awesome story and the proceeds from the sales of One Million Arrows are designated for international orphan ministry.

My thoughts? This book is incredible. It serves its purpose to inspire parents to raise their children to change the world. I'm praying that many parents are moved to read this book because the impact on future generations could just be miraculous.

The book is available through Amazon and other online retailers. Visit the One Million Arrows How to Order page for full details as well as information about church, ministry, and bulk orders.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a GREAT book. I'm going to have to get it.

    Thanks for the kind words. :) Yes, my 6 young adult children are all loving and serving the Lord. Truly a blessing!

    We set out, as our primary goal of parenting, was to raise them up to know and love and serve the Lord. That was more important than anything ... than academics, than friendships, than sports, than music & drama. All of that other stuff is "good", but we want God's very BEST for our children.

    Can't wait to meet you and the gang "in real life" when you get up here to WA. Yea!!!


    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete